Often people struggle with motivation to get out the door and train in Winter so we have put together a few tips to help keep you motivated and running.
- Wet Weather Gear- ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing’ Sir Ranulph Fiennes. Wearing the right clothing for the weather outside means that you can enjoy being out there, so make sure you have the right layers or jacket and you’ll be able to enjoy your run regardless of what the weather is doing.
2. Step out the door- When it’s cold, dark, or wet, the hardest step is the one out the door. Often when you are out there it is a lot more enjoyable than the thought of it is! So put on your ‘showing up’ shoes and step out the door.
3. Keep a routine- If you ALWAYS run on a Thursday then there is no excuse, it’s just what you do. So try and stick to a routine and take the thinking out of it.
4. Focus- Remember that the sessions you bank now are all coins in the bank to spend on race day. Training involves consistently showing up. Future you will thank you for the training you have done and race day will be all the sweeter for having done the training required to enjoy the event.
5. Lighting- Running in the dark is so much more enjoyable with good lighting, so if you are then invest in a good headlamp (more lumens= brighter and less thought required into where to step) or plan a well lit route.
6. Company! See if you can get any buddies to join you. Whether it be on foot or on a bike, company makes it a bit easier to get out.
7. HAVE FUN! Remember you are incredibly lucky to be able to move and challenge your body so embrace the challenge and have fun doing it!
Ready to step out for a Winter run!